Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Home Improvement (UPDATED)

UPDATED
Kelly I will post pictures as soon as I find my camera to dump them. I love my kids, but I wish they would leave my camera alone. :)

******
Saturday my family came up to celebrate Jackson's birthday. The usual things occurred, we ate, opened presents, hung out, played, moved furniture and started a home improvement project in a matter of about 5 hours. Projects and furniture moving ended up on the list. This is a strange, yet normal phenomena in my family.

Jonathan and I have a great and old house in NE Oklahoma (it's in the photo album). It's just under 2800 square feet with a 900 square foot attic that has a full set of stairs to it. Sometime in the 1970's the owners paneled most of the house followed by the next owners adding insane amounts of decoupage(sp?) to the mix. The house is structurally sound, but it is a restoration project. Jonathan and I love these projects and do most of the work ourselves.

My mom and I were in the dinning room which is currently another living room since we don't have a table big enough to do it justice right now. We were talking about moving the game table Victoria does most of her schooling at to the window so she had more light. Thus the furniture began to move.

Later my sister asked Jonathan what needed to be done to take the paneling down. We hadn't started that, b/c we removed paneling upstairs and it was glued and nailed to the walls. The walls were Sheetrock, so it ripped of the top layer of paper and it was a big skimming job. We assumed the downstairs was still plaster under the paneling or that it was glued to Sheetrock. We really weren't in the mood to remove plaster yet or to skim 10 foot walls. So we just hadn't started.

Jonathan decided to take a butter knife and pry back a peace of paneling. Guess what? No glue and no plaster. The walls were Sheetrock underneath. Trim and paneling soon was removed. We are going to do one wall at a time. Jonathan and I went and bought paint that night. Jonathan has since removed the 2 feet of acoustic spray from he wall. With 10 foot ceilings they put up an 8 foot piece of paneling and then applied 2 feet of acoustic spray to the wall the crown molding (I said it was a restoration project). We are relieved. We are now patching and skimming the wall. We hope to paint and faux finish the wall by the end of next week. Then it's one wall down and 3 to go.

2 comments:

Vera Hardwick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly Sime said...

photos, please :)