Wednesday, January 25, 2006

OEA LAWSUIT?!?!

It is illegal for teachers to be member of a union, yet we have the NEA and the OEA that most Oklahoma teachers join. They make those who refuse to join miserable. My father-in-law even lost his job in Cleveland, Oklahoma after many years, because he refused to join. You may question the reason my father-in-law was fired, but I have never met a single person (and I have met many) who says he wasn't the greatest teacher they ever had and that he made learning easy and fun. I’ve met one who even went to college to get a degree in history, because of him.

Well, the OEA has done something that I just can’t believe now. They have filed suit against the State of Oklahoma for not adequately funding education in the state. Oklahoma may be “low” on teacher pay, but when compared to the cost of living in this state they are paid in the top 5 nationally. In Oklahoma they also spend approximately $11,000 per student (this is the last stat I heard). The most elite private schools in the state only charge tuition of $6,000-$7,000 a year and our school systems over all in the state aren’t that good. My opinion, it’s not lack of funding its bureaucracy in the education department and misappropriation of funds that is the problem. I hope they don’t get away with this lawsuit.

It’s crap like this that makes me proud to homeschool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re read your first paragraph. You said you have never met anyone who said Dad was a great teacher. I think you just skipped a word.