Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Snappy's Prognosis

Well, I got word from Canon today. I'm just going to cut and past the important parts of the e-mail here:

Received: September 18, 2007
Repair Cost: $ 97.00
Status: Estimated September 18, 2007


Dear SARA :

We have received your equipment for evaluation and repair. We have estimated your repair as detailed below. Upon your approval and payment remittance we will start the necessary repairs.


You can expect the repair to be completed and your equipment shipped back to you within approximately 7 business days,* from the time we receive your approval and payment. Please respond to this estimate promptly to avoid your unit being returned un-repaired.Please note that in the unlikely event that any internal damage is found due to liquid/water, sand, corrosion, battery leakage or impact (such as dropping the unit), a revised estimate will be sent for your authorization.The Canon USA repair facility may repair your equipment or exchange it for refurbished equipment of the same model, or for a new or refurbished equipment of an equivalent model to your equipment, with the same or additional features. Please note that recovered, remanufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts may be used in connection with such repair.

Thank you for purchasing Canon products and for allowing us this opportunity to serve you.

Best Regards,Canon Factory Service Center


They didn't tell me what was wrong and they gave me their "FLAT RATE REPAIR CHARGE". I at least like to know what I'm paying for.

They offered me this referb deal:

Canon has a special program for its valued customers.
As an alternative to repair you may now purchase a refurbished POWER SHOT A530 for $125.00 . Call our Customer Care Center at 1-866-443-8002 for more details.


I found the same referb cheaper on the Internet.

I really think I'm going to just buy a new camera. The offered A530 is a slower, lower megapixel, referb of what I want that's $168 and brand new.

What do you think? Anyone? Anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get the Canon Powershot SD1000. You can find it in an online search for $203, print it out and bring it to Circuit City, where they'll price-match it. That's how I got mine. I love it!! With a 4 GB SD card, I can take a high quality 31 minute video with sound, or take 2000 pictures at 7.1 MegaPixels. Pictures are absolutely crystal clear even at the macro setting for close-up shots.